#9 Pallet-wrecking, Floor Battens and Temperamental Hazards

Since we got the van we had noticed the hazard lights were a little temperamental, occasionally they would work but more often than not, they wouldn’t. We weren’t too worried about this as we are still in the warranty period, we would get it seen to professionally if it continued. However after a little internet search we head a few people had experienced the same problem and it was due to loose wires into the button. We have the Haynes manual for our traffic, which details exactly how to remove the panel in order to reach the appropriate wires – easy to follow instructions are always super useful. We secured everything back in place and used some WD40 to expel any moisture and clean the connections, and it has worked perfectly ever since – huzzah for Haynes!

We put a dollop of our silicon style adhesive on the screw holes in the floor to seal them up and swiftly moved on to the floor battens. We used 12mm x46mm x 2400mm MDF stripwood for the floor battens. After measuring the appropriate lengths and distributing them as evenly as we could between the ridges on the van floor we glued them into place. We used a flexible PU sealant glue and, as always, used methylated spirits to clean the panels before sticking. We liberally applied the glue and weighed each batten down once glued – the adhesive bonded pretty quickly and progress was swift. All in all this was an easy job, the only difficulty was moving through the van working on a section without nudging one of the previous sections drying. We will use these battens to screw the ply floor down as well as giving an even surface across the van floor, without corners flexing due to lacking support.

Battons 3.jpg

A large part of the day was spent pallet wrecking. We picked up the stash of pallets from my colleagues wood store and picked out the heat treated ones for us to use. These looked in much better condition than the last one we took a saw to, the nails holding it together we sawn off rather than bent over. They were much easier to dismantle, and took little more than a claw hammer to pry them apart, as before any stubborn nails were sawn around, better to have usable short pieces that split panels!  We ended up with a huge stash of usable wood – including a good amount of long panels. We managed to get all the pallets dismantled in only a few sittings and it looks as though we will have enough for everything we may need it for, all that is left to do on them is sanding and treating!

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s