This felt like a day of little progress – however, we did find a way to cover the trunking (containing wires for the brake lights) running down the length of the van, got the ceiling battens done and started to insulate and foil the ceiling. We were also able to sound deaden and insulate the side loading door – however we will look to insulate the doors properly at a later stage.
Hiding the Trunking
Down one side of the van, over the top of the side loading door there is rounded plastic trunking which sticks out from the wall/ceiling a fair way. This trunking houses the wires running from the front of the van to the brake lights at the back. We did consider removing it, but the protection it offers the wires seemed a worthy reason for it staying. So we decided to find a way to cover it, so it would be less obvious once the wall ply and carpeting was done.
In the end we decided to use the left over gold foil insulation that we used on the floor, we used a few strips of double sided tape to get it to mould to the shape of the plastic. We did consider using Trimfix to do this but we decided that, due to the plastic having holes of varying size down its full length, we didn’t fancy spraying an adhesive onto the wires that were contained inside – this may seem over cautious to some but when it comes to electricity in such a small, flammable space I would prefer to err very much on the side of caution! Instead we used our double sided tape to get it to follow the shape of the trunking and then used our trusty aluminium tape to secure it in place (to the silver walls and the metal on the ceiling.)
It was a fiddly job, with lots of nooks, crannies, grooves and edges to try and tape around however the end result was pleasing, leaving a smooth finish which will easily be covered by wall/carpet.
Reusing some of the thin ply we had removed from the van in the very early stages, we cut eight 20x8cm pieces, to be screwed into the ceiling giving specific areas that we can use to secure the ply in place. This removes any risk of screws going through the top of our beloved van! The ceiling of the van has 8 small sections which stick out, we started referring to them as the ‘juts’, offering a level surface for the battens to screw into, ignoring the natural curve of the van ceiling. We drilled pilot holes and then glued and screwed the battens in place, the same process we used for the wall battens.
We actually started to glue the recycled wool in place and then realised we had forgotten to do the ceiling battens – luckily we remembered early on as it did make the job a lot more fiddly having to work around the wool.
With the pre-cut wool (huzzah for planning ahead!) we used the Trimfix, a layer on the wool and a layer on the ceiling, to secure the pieces in place. With the wool in place we used our silver foil and aluminium tape to seal it in, exactly as we did with the walls – only the ceiling took a little longer, what with gravity working against us. The best method we found was to start on one side, keeping the foil in place with two long strips of ali tap, and then putting smaller tabs of taps intermittently along the length, working our way to the other side – once in place we could then focus on sealing the entire edge. We decided to go through the full process for each section, of which there are 5 – we managed to get 2 of the 5 done before the end of the day.
Always a little annoying finishing right in the middle of a job but at least it will mean a quick and organised start on our next van day.