#11 Finishing the Wall Battens and Foil Insulation

After the set back of the wall battens the previous week and having to leave that particular job unfinished, it was the first thing we got to today.

Wall Battens – attempt no. 2

Now knowing the old technique wouldn’t work we proceeded to drill pilot holes in the double layer metal, it was difficult to make sure we got it all lined up properly. The first screw went in fine, but the second lined up in the hole, went in part way and then got stuck. It wouldn’t budge and the pressure from the drill ended up shearing the head off the screw. This left us with a batten, not fully against the metal, covered in glue with a screw part way in that no longer had a head with which we could unscrew it. Another set back!

2 Wall Battens 2.jpg
Broken screws!

We had to pull the batten away, the stuck screw pulling right through it and then use pliers to try and loosen/remove the broken screw – not ideal at all. It seemed that if the screw went in at an angle, even the slightest one and it would end up in disaster. We eventually managed to get the wall battens glued and screwed, it took a painstakingly long time as every couple of screws, one would get stuck and we would have to go through the process again. But perseverance paid off and the job was done. Due to the sheer amount of time it was taking, we ended up using fewer screws to hold the battens up than we had previously planned, which means relying more heavily on the adhesive. However we reasoned that these battens would not really be weight baring, only really be holding up the ply walls so this would probably be okay… I suppose we will find out if we are right in time!

1 Wall Batttens.JPG
Drilling pilot holes for screws

Foil Insulation

We have chosen to use the foil insulation as it is a great vapour barrier; it stops the wool absorbing and holding any condensation, and has decent insulating properties of its own. It is essentially silver foiled bubble wrap, and it super easy to work with.

We worked on the inside panels a section at a time, first gluing the wool insulation on top of the sound deadened panels. We have been using Trimfix glue; it holds even when faced with high temperatures and has very good reviews. It sprays on as a tacky, almost web like covering, bonds quickly and is super easy to use. Once the wool was in place, we cut the foil to size and used double sided sticky tape in a couple of areas to keep it up while we taped it on properly. We used aluminium tape to keep the foil in place and create a seal tight edge to uphold the vapour barrier properties of the product.

8 Right side foil.JPG
Using aluminium tape to seal foil insulation edges

The ali tape is very effective, it feels like sticky tin foil and it pretty easy to mould into corners and around edges. I seemed to have a knack for this bit, more so than Callum anyway – so he left me to it while he continued gluing the wool. Each section of the foil was fully taped around the edges, leaving no gaps. Despite it being a fairly easy task it was a fiddly one and took a surprisingly amount of time. The end result was pleasing, we were left with a very space-age looking van and it felt like significant progress after a slow morning.

10 full foiling.JPG
Shiny walls!

Conduit Thimgamabob

Callum spent a little time and a little left over ply making a holder type thing for our conduit. We knew we were going to have to foil around it somehow and very simple little thing hold it in place so as not to negatively affect the vapour barrier by being able to move around. It worked perfectly and looks very neat!

blog collage.jpg
Conduit thingamabob working a treat!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s